If you're just starting out in the copywriting world, there's a few things you need to know.
1. Join the Science of Copywriting Facebook Group (click here). When you've joined, enter "start" in the 'Search this group' button in Facebook - not here on this site (it's on the left if you're viewing the group on a desktop - or click the magnifying glass at the top if you're on mobile). You'll find lots of helpful stuff.
2. Subscribe to the Science of Copywriting Newsletter (click here) and get daily hints and tips on how to become a pro copywriter direct to your inbox.
3. There's a difference between a copywriter and a content writer (although they're often now seen as the same thing). A copywriter persuades someone to do something (eg. buy a product). A content writer writes articles to fill space and/or build reputations and company profiles. Think of it this way "a copywriter sells, a content writer fills".
4. Copywriting for the Internet Marketing (IM) niche is different from any other form of copywriting. The Internet Marketing niche is full of empty promises. You can spot copy in the IM niche just by the headline (eg. "Triple Your Income In 24 Hours Or You'll Get Your Money Back And We'll Even Pay You For The Trouble"). Before IM was a thing, there were plenty of examples of Direct Response Marketing that did the same thing. Plenty of people got into trouble for doing it (including the legendary Gary Halbert RIP - read The Boron Letters).
5. Writing good copy is no different from writing articles in one major way - if it's not interesting, people won't read it. And if they don't read it, they won't buy.
6. There are rules for writing no matter what type of writing you do. Search for Rules in the Facebook group to discover them.
7. Learning to become a great copywriter will take you a lifetime. This is the mindset you must start with. If you're not willing to invest your life in learning to become a great copywriter, do something else. By 'lifetime' I mean some people become proficient enough in a year, some take 20 years, some never.
8. To become a great copywriter you need to write every day (every day you don't write is a day lost you could have become a better writer). Read every day (and read from a critical perspective). Read everything (books, newspapers, magazines, articles, online content). There is no one good source of copywriting know how (it would be impossible to contain it all).
9. The only test of a good piece of copy is the sales it makes. Once a piece of copy has some sales stats, it becomes the 'control' piece from which all further tests can be measured against.
10. The opinion of other people about your copy is just that, an opinion. The only real opinion comes from a happy buyer of the product your copy sold.
If you take copywriting seriously, it will change your life and the lives of many others along the way.
PS. If you're interested in Copywriting Jobs, please join our sister group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/copywritingjobs/
PPS. If you want your Copy Reviewed, join our other sister group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/copycritiqueboard/